Nominations for the International Emmy Kids Awards were announced by the International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. There are 12 Nominees in 3 categories; the presentation will be made during Mipcom Online +.
The nominees span 10 countries: Australia, Brazil, Finland, Japan, Mexico, The Netherlands, Singapore, South Korea, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.
“The geographic spread and variety of themes addressed in these nominated programs demonstrate the buoyancy and quality of children’s television throughout the world,” commented International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences president & CEO, Bruce L. Paisner. “We congratulate the nominees for their outstanding talent and for setting the standard of excellence we expect for young viewers worldwide.”
The nominees for Kids: Animation include the following:
Ico Bit Zip – National Geographic / Copa Studio, Brazil
- In Ico Bit Zip, Ico and her friends are beings living in the Cloud and working in an internet search tool, the Bit Zip. They must find out answers for the most complex questions – after all, “no results found” is something inadmissible!
Oddbods – Season 3 – One Animation Pte Ltd, Singapore
- The Oddbods are back… again! Watch 7 friends survive the perils of everyday life, where ordinary situations spiral into extraordinary events.
Moominvalley – Gutsy Animations, Finland
- The star of the show, curious and idealistic Moomintroll with his extraordinary family and whimsical friends, take us to an adventure into the magical world of Moominvalley. Most of the episodes center on the Moominhouse and valley, an idyllic place entirely untouched by the modern world. Sometimes they venture beyond the valley into the vast wilderness, huge dark forests, mysterious distant islands, and lonely perilous mountains.
The Tiger Who Came to Tea – Lupus Films, United Kingdom
- A mysterious tiger turns up unannounced and invites himself in for afternoon tea. Young Sophie and her mommy watch in fascination as the tiger proceeds to eat not only their tea, but the entire contents of the fridge and everything else in the house!
Kids: Factual & Entertainment:
Opa Popa Dupa – Nat Geo Kids / Estudios Telemexico, Mexico
- Earth, air, planets, forests, oceans, seasons, science, flora, and fauna. All these are told by a Youtuber gorilla, a rock-star flower, a smug-actor lion. Does it make sense at all? Probably not. What if we add a monkey who loves to make jokes, a police condor, and an allergic elephant? Now, does it make sense? And besides that, we also add Eco and Nube, two Nat Geo explorers, it makes Opa Popa Dupa, a puppet show to educate by entertaining.
Världens Hemskaste Sjukdomar (World’s Worst Diseases) – Delta Studios, Sweden
- Plague, cholera, and TBC – through history, humanity has been affected by horrible, contagious, and sometimes deadly diseases. This show brings kids along on a historical journey where two guinea pigs try out the worst pestilence to hit Sweden, before we vote for The World’s Worst Disease.
“Finding My Family: Holocaust” A Newsround Special – BBC Children’s In-House Productions / CBBC, United Kingdom
- “For you it’s history… for me it’s life”. These are the words of Holocaust survivor Steven Frank, as he takes his teenage granddaughter to Auschwitz to learn about his experiences during the Holocaust. This film shows children the horrors of this time in history, with the message that we must never forget.
My Notebooks – Seven Years of Tiny Great Adventures – NHK, Japan
- From 3rd to 9th grade, Asuka Umeda has been writing self-learning notebooks. This independent study started as a homework assignment, but soon became a joyous hobby, taking him to new places where he encountered special people. The notebooks have broadened his horizons, while also building his sense of self-esteem.
Juacas – Season 2 – The Walt Disney Company Latin America / Cinefilm Brazil, Brazil
- In Season 2, the surfing trio is separated after an ugly defeat in Nationals. They deal with dilemmas and face old “rivals” and the new ones. They face challenges as a group and individually; Sirenas has a new family member and Nanda is more interested in winning Billy’s heart. Leilane and Vivi need to resolve their differences by balancing sponsor demands with training. The Red Sharks change with the arrival of a mysterious new coach with unconventional techniques who encourages the best of Mahla, Seba and Minhoca.
Hardball – Northern Pictures, Australia
- When Mikey moves from New Zealand to Western Sydney, he finds himself in the thick of the ultra-competitive schoolyard game of handball. After saving a kid on the playground from a wayward ball and he discovers that he has the most powerful strike in the world. Mikey is befriended by Jerry and Salwa, who join forces to train him to become a handball weapon of precision and skill, equipped to topple resident king of the court, Tiffany, and take home the western suburbs handball crown… if only he could make the ball land in the right suburb!
Dropje (Doopie) – NTR Television / Submarine, Netherlands
- It’s not a boy, it’s not a girl, it’s not a stuffed animal, it’s just Doopie.
Extraordinary You – MBC, South Korea
- Extraordinary You is a fantasy romance drama about Dan-oh and Ha-ru, who one day find out that they are unimportant characters of a cartoon! A ‘minor role’ character, Dan-oh has a crush on Har, who is in the ‘extra’ cast. They must change the storyline to make their relationship work out!
International Emmy Kids Awards presenting partners are Ernst & Young, MIPJunior and TV Kids.
Winners will receive their award during an online ceremony on Wednesday, October 14, 2020. All these programs were broadcast between January 1 and December 31, 2019, in accordance with the competition’s eligibility period.
Source: International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences